Bakersfield is a city located in the San Joaquin Valley of California, 110 mi north of Los Angeles and about the same distance south of Fresno. The city of Bakersfield is the 9th largest city in California and the 52nd largest city in the United States. Bakersfield itself is part of the Southern California area, but is linked with the Central Valley region due to Bakersfield being a hub for agriculture and oil production. Over 400,00 people live in this area, which makes for a lot of traffic congestion. Residents and visitors should make sure they understand all the options for cheap car insurance Bakersfield has to offer. Then, practice safe driving and keep your car insurance paid up.
Bakersfield Insurance Requirements
All California state residents are required to have the basic liability insurance in the following limits:
- $5,000 of property damage liability per incident
- $15,000 of bodily injury liability per person
- $30,000 of bodily injury liability per incident
The minimum coverage may be all the law requires, but living or visiting Bakersfield can put you at risk for more than what is covered by just liability. Car repairs and towing can quickly wipe out your savings, so consider adding these options.
- Towing and labor
- Rental reimbursement
- Uninsured motorist bodily injury
Public Transportation in Bakersfield
Bakersfield is only four hours from 90 percent of the state’s population. There are great restaurants, museums and shopping, plus plenty of activities for the outdoor enthusiast. River rafting, hiking and golf are some of the most popular things to do in Bakersfield.
- Bakersfield is just 15 minutes east of Interstate 5 and positioned at the crossroads of State Highways 99 and 58, making it is easy to get to from any part of the state.
- Bakersfield is serviced by Meadows Field Airport (BFL), located 8 miles north of downtown Bakersfield.
- For discounts on Amtrak travel to Bakersfield, click here.
- Local city wide bus transportation is provided by Golden Empire Transit.