San Diego California, land of sunny beaches and outdoor barbecues. It is that, plus, a whole lot of traffic. The things that make San Diego so popular, also make the highways and streets more congested and more dangerous. San Diego has a strong police force, and are very quick to set up DUI checkpoints, especially during the holidays. If you have had the misfortune to have your license suspended or revoked, then you will need to make sure you understand all the options for cheap SR22 insurance San Diego has available.
Who Needs An SR22?
SR22 documentation is “proof of financial responsibility” for drivers who have had their licenses revoked or suspended for any number of reasons, including:
- Excessive violations within a certain time frame.
- Driving without insurance.
- Outstanding traffic or parking fines.
- At-fault accidents while uninsured.
- Reckless driving.
All About SR22 Insurance?
- Because SR-22s are primarily linked with serious violations, purchasing and filing an SR-22 is not as simple as sending a standard proof of auto insurance to your DMV. First you will need to contact your car insurance company to inform them of your need for an SR-22 certificate of financial responsibility. If you don’t have an insurance company, shop around to find one who will work with you.
- Once you’ve found a company to insure you, you will need to have them file the SR-22 with the California DMV . You cannot file an SR-22 on your own. An SR-22 is meant to be certified proof that you have and will continue to have the legally mandated required car insurance limits.
- Drivers in San Diego and throughout the state of California must carry proof of SR22 if their drivers license is suspended – for a minimum of three years, or longer depending on the violation.
- If your auto policy cancels for any reason (non-payment, non-renewal, etc.) the DMV will be electronically notified and, in most cases, your license will be suspended again. This is a problem because then you will have to start your 3 year term over again.